Welcome to The Loup!
And welcome to The Bar Belle blog, where I’ve been writing nonsensical daily reasons to drink for years. My columns also publish over at Insider Louisville, where I work full time as the culture editor.
Why am I telling you all this stuff you already know? Because some people out there think I’m dead … or working at Walmart as a greeter and cart girl.
Just last weekend, as I was waiting in the bathroom line at the Mag Bar, a burly dude wearing leather and lace came out of the men’s room and encroached my comfort zone. He grabbed my shoulder (before washing his hands) and whispered, “Hey, aren’t you The Bar Belle?” I’m not sure why he was whispering. It’s not like I had a minor role in “Showgirls” and was trying to deny my existence.
“Yep! That’s me,” I confirmed, hoping he’d offer to buy me a beer.
“I haven’t picked up a LEO since they got rid of you,” he said as he slapped my ass and disappeared into the back room where an all-female rock band from Nashville sang about Sylvia Plath.
I guess that’s a compliment, but I also assume he has no idea that I’m still writing stupid stuff on a daily basis and still keeping up with Louisville’s bars and bourbon industry.
But back to The Loup. I’m honored Wil Heuser asked me to be a part of his vision for a Louisville comedy hub. This blog has been sitting on a cyberspace street corner holding up a sign that reads, “Why lie? I need a beer,” as people throw coins and pocket lint in my direction.
So in an effort to pick my blog up and dust it off …
- I vow to bring back Drunk Texts of the Week.
- I vow to use this space to share my columns and other articles from Insider Louisville that apply here.
- I vow to start a Tasting Experience — get your mind out of the gutter — where I gather a group of thirsty friends and we try new bourbons and spirits and try to convey the warm, fuzzy feelings they give our tongues.
- I vow to denounce my pillow queen status and stay on top of the bar scene.
- I vow to share any deals and happy hour specials I come across.
- I vow to be The Bar Belle of your dreams.
I’m not dead, I’m pickled.