The Bar Belle has been staking out popular watering holes, neighborhood dives and trendy taverns for more than 20 years in Louisville, Ky. The nightlife scene reached out to her like a drunk text at midnight, asking her for some company and maybe a ride home.
Her award-winning column ran in LEO Weekly from 2006-2014, but like last call at The Back Door, all good things must come to an end. She created this website to pick up where she left off — as Queen Jester of Louisville’s Nightlife.
Currently, you can find The Bar Belle column in Food & Dining Magazine, which comes out quarterly.
Fingers crossed her tabs continue to be paid and she can handle her liquor like a professional. Remember: There’s no crying in bars, liquor before beer, and practice sobriety in moderation.
• • •
And professionally speaking, Sara Havens is a spirits writer for various publications, including Alcohol Professor, The Bourbon Review, Bourbon+ Magazine and Food & Dining Magazine. Below are some of her recent articles.
The Bourbon Review:
Food & Dining (Bar Belle column):
• The wonderfully weird ways of gin (Summer 2022)
• The ebb & flow of the Louisville bar scene (Spring 2022)
• Olive a good Bloody Mary, don’t you? (Winter 2021)
• License to chill: An ode to the beach drink floater (Summer 2021)
• It’s our civic duty to drink local (Spring 2021)
• Back in the saddle: The return of The Bar Belle (Spring 2020)