Every time this email comes into my inbox, a shiver shoots down my spine. It’s time to announce the details of this year’s Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, and I’m spillin’ all the tea!
I’m not going to waste my time or yours with anymore words — here are the damn facts. I hope you get a bottle. But I hope I get a bottle more.
• Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2021 will be released on Sept. 2, 2021.
• The bourbon is 12 years old and will be bottled at 104 proof.
• It’s the 21st edition of the Birthday Bourbon series.
• The color of this year’s label/tax stamp is an olive green.
• The batch consists of 119 barrels that were aged in Warehouse G.
• Birthday Bourbon honors the founder of Old Forester, George Garvin Brown.
• If you can find it on the shelf, it’ll retail for about $129.99.
• Master Taster Jackie Zykan says: “This year, we’ve composed a bold and compelling offering which showcases the unique fruit-forward side of Old Forester. Playful berry undertones with summery dessert notes balance out to our flagship spice finish while taking sippers on a textural journey from velvety to dry mouthfeel.”
• Tasting Notes (according to the news release):
Color: Golden Citrine
Aroma: A beautiful symphony of berry and dessert components. Red raspberry preserves join plump, juicy blackberries and dried strawberries to set the tone, nestled in a bed of dried herbs and balanced with vanilla creme brulee, subtle pecan, rich maple syrup, and cocoa.
Taste: Rich and inviting, the velvety mouthfeel carries notes of buttery caramel, burnt sugar, and a touch of fresh baked Linzer cookie. This silky palate quickly awakens into a bright, peppery, peripheral spice.
Finish: Lengthy and warm with subtle dryness. Subdued notes of chocolate, raisin and cool herbs linger in the shadow of stark oak spice.